Sunday, July 25, 2010

"So Over It" Book Review


SO OVER IT
BY
STEPHANIE MORRILL
(The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt Series)



Senior year is over and Skylar Hoyt is ready to forgive and forget. Or at least forget. She wants a fresh start where people don't know about her past or her dysfunctional family. A place where she won't run into her ex-boyfriend every time she leaves the house. When she gets the opportunity to spend the summer in Hawaii with her grandparents, Skylar jumps at the chance to get out of town. But will she truly be able to leave her old life behind? And will she be strong enough to rise above the gossip and live the life God wants?

MY REVIEW:
This is book #3 in The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt series and both my daughter and I have been anxiously awaiting its arrival to see how the series would end. I liked both of the first two books and yet wondered where Stephanie would take this third one to wrap things up. She handled it expertly. This series deals with some heavy subjects (Skylar is given a roofie at a party and wakes up not knowing exactly what happened; her sister Abbie has a baby at 15; her parents separate and then work on reconciliation) but they are handled in a fashion by the author that I really admire. Normally I wouldn't let my daughter read books dealing with these subjects yet, but for this series I did. I love that Skylar turns to God to change her after the party and she realizes that just maybe she is headed down the wrong path. I also love that even after that she isn't perfect. She stumbles and makes more mistakes, but she keeps trying. She struggles with forgiveness but finally realizes that to move on she has to let go and let God. So this third book really deals with a lot of forgiveness and also finding the
truth. It is a great finish to this series and I enjoyed each of the books.

Available July 2010 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

*****Thanks to Donna Hausler from Revell for my review copy of So Over It****

No comments: