Wednesday, June 22, 2011

"Rhythm of Secrets" Book Review

Rhythm of Secrets
Kregel Publications (December 22, 2010)
by
Patti Lacy

I posted about this book awhile ago but needed to come back and give you my thoughts on this great book. Here is my review of a fantastic book by Patti Lacy - and she has a new one coming out in October! I can't wait to see what she comes up with next...

Sheila Franklin has lived three separate lives. Now a conservative pastor's wife in Chicago, she is skilled at hiding secrets--a talent birthed during childhood romps through the music-filled streets of New Orleans. But when the son she bore at the age of eighteen comes back looking for answers and desperate for help, her greatest secret--and greatest regret--is revealed.

MY REVIEW: Patti Lacy has a gift. She has this uncanny ability to find a story and flesh it out to a place where you feel like you are living in that story. I would not say that woman's fiction (you know the kind dealing with heavy subjects that really make you think) is one of my favorite genres, in fact I pass by on a lot of them. But a book by Patti Lacy - it is a must read as far as I am concerned. I loved her first books "An Irishwoman's Tale" and "What The Bayou Saw" but this book was even better! The whole concept behind the book was fascinating... what if a woman grew up thinking that she had to hide the shame of the past she grew up in, and then is confronted with it in the worst way. Will her decision to hide her past cause hurt to others? What can she do to fix it? Will it destroy her marriage? Sheila Franklin is a heroine that makes you cheer for her as you follow her in her choices, good and bad, and I was curious to the end about how everything would turn out. Patti keeps you intrigued until the very end. So worth the read - a keeper!

3 comments:

patti lacy said...

Janna, thanks for taking the time to read my book when you're wading through duties--and I'm not talking beach water!!!

Have a blessed day!
Patti

Julie Lessman said...

Janna!!! I LOVED this book, but I gotta tell you the next one blew me away -- love, love, LOVED it!! Reclaiming Lily is amazing, just like Patti, and I TOTALLY agree with you about women's fiction not being my chosen genre. But, bottom line, I will read ANYTHING by Patti Lacy because she is THAT good!

See you in the bookstore, sweetie!

Hugs,
Julie

Ann Summerville said...

Thanks for the review. Looks like a must read.
Ann