Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Top 9 Historical Books of 2009 (Part 1)




The Top 9 Historical Books of 2009
(according to Janna)


I decided I really needed to separate out the Historical Books this year, there are a lot of them, many people consider Historical their favorite category and yet last year I felt they were not represented like they should have been -- they kind of got squeezed out... so this year - they get their own category!


#7 in 2009 - Michal by Jill Eileen Smith...
Biblical fiction can be touchy because when it is well written it can sink into your brain to the point that you blur the line between what is scriptural and what is from the author's imagination. This book is so well written that I have to be careful to distinguish between fact and fiction. Jill puts flesh and bones on Michal and gives us some insight into the different reasons that Michal was the way she was - absolutely fascinating! This is book #1 in the Wives of David series and book #2 Abigail is releasing very soon!!!








#8 in 2009 - Guardian of the Flame by T.L. Higley...
I am loving the Ancient Wonders of the World series that T.L. is crafting, it brings ancient history to life and makes it move and breathe. This is the 3rd installment in the series with each book being a stand alone. There are also Shadow of Colossus and City of the Dead and they are fantastic as well. You will not regret adding all 3 of these books to your keeper shelf!















#9 in 2009 - Dawn's Prelude by Tracie Peterson...
Dawn's Prelude is the book that restored my faith in Historical Fiction. I had hit a slump where I read a lot of historical fiction and it was starting to feel same 'ol, same 'ol... then I had to read Dawn's Prelude and BAM! Originality, mystery, great setting, excellent characters and I read it in one sitting. I loved it and check it out for my pick for #9 Historical Fiction of 2009!

5 comments:

Laura Frantz said...

Janna, It's a thrill to find that my book has a special place on your bookshelf - and in your heart! Thank you so much! Meeting you at ACFW Denver was such a highlight for me. Praying 2010 brings you many reading and writing joys!

Janna said...

Laura,
I was equally thrilled to meet you at ACFW! I loved getting to visit and learn more about you and your writing - blessings to you this year and please be sure to let me know when your next book comes out!

Janna

cathikin said...

Unfortunately, I haven't read any of the books in your top 9, and I love historical fiction. I need to put all these on my wish list. I think I would particularly like the Huguenot stories. And I'm sure I'd like the other Higley book, since I loved City of the Dead. One of my personal favorites, one of those I read, was The Blue Enchantress by MaryLu Tyndall.

Linda said...

I love historical novels. I've read all of Julie Lessman's and they are great! They deserve to be here. My choice would be The Frontiersman's Daughter. Please enter me.
Thanks.
desertrose5173 at gmail dot com

wmmahaney said...

I just finished Dawn's Prelude last week and loved it. Anything based in Alaska is a definite like for me, and if it is written by Tracie Peterson I'm even more excited about it.
wmmahaney(at)att(dot)net