Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend Books to Read...

WHAT ARE YOU READING THIS MEMORIAL DAY?

In honor of Memorial Day I thought I would recommend some great books for reading this summer - some books that might be memorable for you as they were for me.

At the top of my list is a book that I finished last week and really enjoyed. A kick back, relax, have a few laughs and solve a couple mysteries kind of book. Jenny B. Jones has finished her series with Bella Kirkwood and while I'm sad to see her go, I love the way she has ended the series. Take a look at the titles...
"So Not Happening"
"I'm So Sure" and now...
"So Over My Head"
Just the titles make me smile. I'm not sure why the 3rd cover was changed from the dog to the girl but even the covers are clever (I liked the dog better). So anyway, the story is great as we encounter Bella and her quirky, crazy family. Her step-dad, the pro wrestler in spandex, her step-brother that drives a hearse, her dad who is getting remarried, the little demon girl that comes with her dad's fiance and of course her boyfriend (ex-boyfriend) Luke and his ex-girlfriend Ashley. And at the same time, the bearded lady is killed at the circus and Bella is convinced she can find the killer - of course it means she has to get a job at the circus as a clown in order to keep tabs on everybody... in the process it looks like someone knows she's snooping - is she in danger now? Catch this one (and the whole series) this summer to find out!

My all time favorite read of last summer (last year actually - and that is out of over 250 books!) was a not so little book called "Hero, Second Class" by Mitchell Bonds. This book is a spec fiction/fantasy lover's dream! We're talking a new world with fascinating characters, incredible structure with in the world and then of course there is the amazing wit with which Mitchell writes the story. I mean, I got a laugh out of the subtitles under the chapter headings! He managed to bring in little jokes for fans of cult hits such as Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, Star Wars... well, I can't remember which ones exactly, it has been awhile since I read it I just remember that this book was sheer pleasure to my mind - I just have my fingers crossed that in between college classes Mitchell manages to get "Hero, First Class" written so I can continue on this fantastic journey!

That's all I have time for today, but these are definite winners!

No comments: