Friday, October 5, 2012

"Double Blind" Book Review

DOUBLE BLIND
BY
BRANDILYN COLLINS


Twenty-nine-year-old Lisa Newberry can barely make it through the day. Suddenly widowed and a survivor of a near-fatal attack, she is wracked with grief and despair. Then she hears of a medical trial for a tiny brain chip that emits electrical pulses to heal severe depression. At rope's end, Lisa offers herself as a candidate.
When she receives her letter of acceptance for the trial, Lisa is at first hopeful. But-brain surgery. Can she really go through with that? What if she receives only the placebo? What if something far worse goes wrong?

MY REVIEW:
    I was pleased to snag a copy of this book fresh from the publishers right as it came out. I couldn't wait to get my hands on it! I am always anxious to see what Brandilyn has up her sleeves next. This plot is original and mind boggling - a chip that can be implanted in the brain and send out little shock waves that will disturb the brain waves that cause depression. This chip is supposed to give Lisa her life back after the tragedies she has experienced over the last year... miscarriages, being widowed and then being viciously attacked. She has basically quit functioning and is racked with depression and grief. She just wants her life back and agrees to be part of a medical trial with this brain chip. She wakes up from the surgery and doesn't take long to realize that the chip is working! But as hindsight usually shows us, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is and Lisa starts dealing with some side effects of this "miracle chip". And these side effects could end up killing her... or someone else - except that they are already dead. Is she going insane - this might be worse than the depression she was dealing with before. 
      I was really on the edge of my seat to see how it was going to turn out and I have to be careful what I say at this point... I don't want to spoil anything but I have to say that the ending was not quite the punch I was hoping for. I never did understand the reasoning of the bad guy (other than pure sociopath maybe...) but overall this book was really good. I always know that if Brandilyn Collins writes it, it will be unusual and original and that is what I love! 

No comments: