Thursday, October 25, 2007

Update on my reading list!


My list is coming right along... I finished two more books today. "Gerda's Lawman" by Lena Nelson Dooley and "As I Have Loved You" by Nikki Arana. You know, after organizing and reading through my list, I have a new appreciation for some of the books on my list. The shorter, Christian fiction books like the Heartsong Presents and Love Inspired lines have gained a whole new respect in my eyes now that I am critiquing them more than I used to. There are some amazing story lines and plot lines in books like "Pirate's Prize" and "Gerda's Lawman". Incredible characters and conflicts in "Lambert's Code" and "Power of Love". Heartwrenching inner turmoil and struggles in "Canteen Dreams" and yet in all of these carefully crafted stories there are nuggets of gold from the hearts of the authors that want to share something, some bit of wisdom they have from God. Don't look on these books and what they have to share with us lightly. I am a better person for the rush of Heartsong Presents and Love Inspired books I have read lately.


I would like to highlight one book I just finished reading. "As I Have Loved You" by Nikki Arana. I wasn't sure what to think as I started this one, but if this tells you anything, I started it this afternoon and just finished it (that's after watching "Evan Almighty" with my family tonight!). It is not a mystery/suspense or the kind that leaves you hanging on the edge of your seat. It was such a character study of who we think we are versus who we really are and our perceptions of other people. I bawled like an absolute baby through the last 5 or 6 chapters and then I didn't want it to be over, even though the ending was as perfectly satisfying as it could've been. I can not recommend this book highly enough - it is not every day that you read a book that makes you want to change your ways and be a better person, but this book did. Do yourself and those people around you a favor and go read this book!

1 comment:

CeeCee said...

Thank you for this review! I thought I was the only one who liked the story. It is one of my best books read in 2007.